Monday 11 February 2013

One year on......

I launched this blog a year ago as a way of documenting some of my kitchen experiments with my Pampered Chef kit and  putting some of my discoveries out there.  I have had views from all over the World in the last year and a whole lot of folks visiting from Pinterest, facebook and allergyuk.  Thanks for visiting!  It makes me feel like I'm not just talking away to myself here!  The comments people have left have been great and its nice to hear from you too.

Most of my recipes are egg and dairy free due to my youngest daughter's allergies and I've been asked so many times by people when they eat my food, in particular the cakes, "How do you do it without eggs?".  So here is a quick guide to what to use in place of eggs in baking and cooking:

I have to say I am not keen on egg replacers and very seldom use them - they really are just a mix of extra bicarbonate of soda and some other bulkers such as potato starch to make everything stick together.  I bought one box of it three and a half years ago when we first discovered that eggs were a no go area in our house, and I only ever used about a quarter of it!

So if you have a favourite eggy recipe and want to convert it to an egg free version, try the egg replacer powder if you like, but it may not work (I had several disappointments which put me right off).  You might have to play with your favourite recipes and try adding other things...

1 egg can be replaced by:

1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce - babyfood jars are great for this - in cookies and biscuits.  Such as these choc chip cookies.

Choc chip cookies with baby apple sauce!

(I've also found I can just grate apple straight into the mix if I'm being lazy!  For example in my fruit cake.)
Mrs Mac's Fruitcake, made with apple, not egg!

1/2 mashed banana in cakes, although this does flavour it.
Chocolate and Banana Zebra bread - no egg here either, just banana!

1 tablespoon ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons of water and left to go gloopy for cakes too.

2 tablespoons water + 1 tablespoon oil + 2 tsp baking powder for cakes that need a rise.


1/2 tsp baking powder, 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda and 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar replaces about 2 eggs in cakes and makes them rise beautifully! See this chocolate cake for example. The taste of the vinegar disappears with the chemical reaction that takes place to create the bubbles and make the cake rise.


Chocolate cake with vinegar!  You don't taste it honest!

Its often trial and error and I've had loads of disasters, but always have found better alternatives to the egg replacer.  Have fun trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you left me a comment , so I know I'm not just speaking to myself!