Friday 16 March 2012

Cobblers!

I made an apple and bramble (blackberry) cobbler last night for the first time and it was fabulous!  I can't believe a cobbler is something I have never made, let alone eaten, before. We do crumbles in this house all the time - rhubarb, apple, apple and bramble, strawberry (yes but its truly yummy!), mixed fruit, and pies when I can be bothered with the rolling out of pastry.  But why have I never tried this American classic before?  I just don't know.  And having tried it now, it's going to be a fixture.

A gooey fruity bottom crowned with an amazing fluffy, scone-like topping.  What is there not to like?

I used my lovely little Pampered Chef mini baker to do this, and it fitted beautifully!  It looked gorgeous just out of the oven and definitely fabulous to take straight to the table to serve.
The Pampered Chef Mini Baker. Isn't it pretty?


As usual I have veganified the recipe and used non dairy spread and soya yoghurt but it is intended to use the real stuff.  The vegan version is delicious so I'm sure it will be fabulous as an omnivorous version too!


Wondering why I'm on about brambles?  We use the term brambles for blackberries in Scotland.

Bramley Apple and Bramble Cobbler
  
Ingredients

3 Bramley apples
Big handful of blackberries (I used the ones I had in the freezer and just chucked them in)
100g sugar plus 2tbsp
75g Butter / Vegan Spread
170g self raising flour
125ml plain yoghurt

Method

Preheat the oven to 200°C

1.  Peel and core the apples on a cutting board.  If they are small enough use an apple wedger, if not you could use the veggie wedger, like I did. My bramleys were monsters!  Chop into smaller pieces with a utility knife and put into the mini baker.

2.  Add the blackberries and scatter over a tablespoonful of the sugar using the large adjustable measuring spoon.

3. Put 100g sugar, the flour and butter into a classic batter bowl and mix with a mix n masher to create crumbs (or use the old fashioned rubbing in method)

4. Add the yoghurt measured in an easy read measuring cup, and stir until it becomes a messy dough.

5. Spoon onto the top of the apples and blackberries in little mounds leaving gaps if you can.  Sprinkle with another tablespoon of sugar and bake for 40 mins till golden brown.


Enjoy with ice cream or whipped cream and the smile of a domestic goddess happy in the knowledge she whipped that up quickly and with the minimum of fuss.


Tip : No self raising flour?  Use plain flour and add 2 tsp of baking powder to this mix too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you left me a comment , so I know I'm not just speaking to myself!