Monday 27 February 2012

Bread Rolls in the Stoneware Muffin Pan

I've just looked at the blog and realised there is nothing on here that is savoury!  That should give you an idea about my leanings shouldn't it? 

So we are going to rectify that with BREAD WEEK!
 
To start off with, here are some lovely bread rolls done in the stoneware 12 cup muffin pan. 

These would work on any stone if you just shape them into rolls, and makes a lovely crusty loaf if divided in two and shaped to fit the medium bar pan or bakers.  I promise to post a recipe soon for Stoneware bread for the best sized loaf for a loaf pan!



Ingredients
600g White Bread Flour
1 1/2 tsp fast action yeast
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
380ml warm water

Method
1. Put the flour in a classic batter bowl. Add salt, sugar, yeast and stir. 

2. Add the oil and then the water gradually to make a soft dough.

3. Knead well on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic (or bung it in a mixer with a dough hook if you have one!)

4. Put the dough back in the bowl and cover with lightly oiled cling film (or put on the lid) for 45 mins or until double the size.

5. Heat the oven to 200°C.

6. Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead for a minute and then divide into twelve even sized pieces.

7. Grease the sides of the stoneware muffin pan lightly with oil and put a piece of dough in each one.  You can try making tear apart rolls which are three or four small pieces of dough put in the one cup together.  They make a nice little pattern on top of the rolls (see my picture with an example of one of each on the left) and they can be torn apart easily and dipped in oils or buttered.

8. Leave to rise for as long as you can bear up to 30 mins - I usually manage about 15 mins while my oven heats up!

9. Bake for about 20-25 mins till golden brown and they make a hollow sound when tapped on top.

10. Leave to cool in the muffin pan for about 5 mins then remove to cooling rack.

11. Eat warm, plain, smothered in butter, dipped in garlic butter or olive oil and balsamic or anything else you fancy! YUM!

Please be careful as the stoneware retains a lot of heat and can still burn after the 5 mins cooling time.  Use oven gloves!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I used to be a consultant myself quiet a few years ago but still have all the kit and love it. I have a 10 month old who is dairy, soya and I think egg allergic so discovering your site was fab! What I would love is a bread recipe for the stoneware loaf pan if you have one as my mother in law is currently on recipe number 6 in a bread maker which is proving unsuccessfully...well there's been 3 explosions and her kitchen filled with smoke once.....help :o) I am more than confident that good old stoneware will provide the answer to my problems lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, thanks for getting in touch! You are right, stoneware can solve all your problems! I have been meaning to put a stoneware loaf on here for ages. I promise you one in the next week - keep an eye out! Kristina x

      Delete

I would be delighted if you left me a comment , so I know I'm not just speaking to myself!