Tuesday 7 February 2012

Cherry Scones

I made my little girl's birthday cakes this evening in preparation for Thursday.  Yes it does say cakes - there will be three! One for nursery, one for her birthday tea at home and one yet to be created for the party on Sunday when she has decided she wants a Barbie cake.  
On finishing and popping them in the oven I then realised there was nothing to show for my efforts to eat this evening! So I whipped up some scones too.  And here they are.  This is the recipe I have been using for ages and which makes light fluffy scones.  No egg as my little one has egg allergies and I make them with soya milk and vegan spread too.  So could you, if you want them to be vegan.

Tonight I tried out a tip I got from a fellow Pampered Chef consultant about using the Mix n Masher to rub in the butter rather than get my hands dirty!  Oh my goodness the revelation is amazing!  Not only does it make the most amazing mash but it does this job super quick.  And the scones were gorgeous too!

Ingredients

225g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 tsp salt (a pinch!)
2 teaspoons sugar
70g butter
150 ml milk
50g chopped glace cherries or sultanas, raisins etc

Method
Preheat the oven to 220°C

1.   Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in a classic batter bowl.
2.   Stir in sugar
3.   Use a Mix N Masher to "rub in" the butter till it resembles breadcrumbs (or use your fingers if you don't have one!)
4.   Add the cherries or other mixed fruit and stir.
5.   Make a well in the centre and slowly add the milk, (you may not need the full amount) mixing everything together gently with a mix n scraper.  The dough should be soft but not sticky.
6.   Pat the dough out gently on a floured surface to about 2.5cms (1inch) thick and cut into scones.
7.   Cook on a round stone or medium bar pan at the top of the oven for around 12-15 mins till golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and eat warm!

1 comment:

  1. OOOOh! Thanks for the tip of a great new use for my mix and masher. Love it.
    jen

    ReplyDelete

I would be delighted if you left me a comment , so I know I'm not just speaking to myself!