Friday 30 March 2012

Rock buns and Easter holidays

I can't wait!  The Easter holidays are nearly upon us and I've been on countdown this week.  With this in mind I've got a child friendly recipe for you that can be ready pretty quickly and always is a hit.

Do you remember rock buns as a child?  I always remember making them at nursery as a child for some reason! 

Later on as a nursery teacher they were a favourite with my little people too, and now my own children love them.  I always used to use the traditional Bero recipe which usually worked a treat, unless a certain member of staff got a go at the baking and then they really were ROCK buns!  You could bounce them off the walls!  I never did figure out what she was doing wrong.

This one won't be bounce-able and will be light and fluffy (unless you are THAT member of staff!).

I have to work without eggs in my kitchen so I've fiddled about until I got a fab light texture and enough sultanas/raisins to balance it out.  Hope you like them?

(Have you been to like my facebook page yet?  The first prize draw takes place on Saturday 31st March and you have to be in it to win it!)

egg free and dairy free rock buns in the sun, as we enjoy all this lovely weather outside in the garden


Rock Buns (egg free, dairy free and vegan)

Ingredients

250g self raising flour
90g sugar
90g butter or Pure Spread (for those who are non dairy)
100g sultanas or raisins or a mix of dried fruit.
3-4 tablespoons of milk (whatever kind you like)

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 190°C

2. Measure the flour into a classic batter bowl and stir in the sugar with a mix n masher.

3. Add the butter or spread and using a mix n masher blend it all together till you get breadcrumbs.  Or use your fingers and get rubbing - the children love this bit.

4.  Stir in the dried fruit.

5.  Add enough milk with an adjustable measuring spoon to make a soft but not sticky dough.

6.  Divide the mixture into roughly 12 heaps on a rectangle stone or any other flat stone/tray and cook for around 8-10 minutes until they are a light golden colour.

7.  Remove to a stackable cooling rack and eat either warm or cold.  These are best eaten on the day they are made, but honestly don't last long anyway! 

5 comments:

  1. I really love your idea, i'll really try that as I have a high colesterol revel. Thanks for posting this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will really try that. Thats a good idea. Thanks for posting it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! Just made these and added in some chocolate chips for an added treat! So tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted you liked them. And I love the idea of the choc chips, although having just eaten so much over Easter maybe not this week!

      Delete
  4. Thank you. Made these. Tested and tried. You can even add half a teaspoon or a teaspoon of baking powder to make them extra fluffy inside. Great fun for children.

    ReplyDelete

I would be delighted if you left me a comment , so I know I'm not just speaking to myself!