Monday 2 July 2012

Chicken pinwheels (egg and dairy free)

I have been super busy recently and a few weeks ago had a lovely time with visiting friends from Australia.  It meant a little bit of catering on a Monday night for a family gathering and I was determined to be organised ahead of time.  So, inspired by a sausage roll recipe I found in Good Food magazine I came up with these little bites of yummyness.

I used the Pampered Chef Manual Food Processor (or MFP) to do these and loved how easy it was.  However, you could use the Food Chopper, a knife to chop it all finely, if you can be bothered, or an ordinary run of the mill food processor.
The Manual Food Processor

(By the way, the MFP comes highly recommended for caravanning or camping and very quick yummy salsas and guacamole, as it needs only your arm as power. A kitchen tool and work out in one!)

I made mine dairy free by using puff pastry that was made without butter.  Please check your brand, but I like Jusrol's puff pastry which is made with vegetable oil, not butter. No eggs are needed here as the pastry is lovely and crisp anyway.


Chicken Pinwheels
Ingredients

4 chicken thighs (cooked and bones removed)
4 sundried tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
1 slice of bacon
handful of basil leaves
salt and pepper to season

1 pack of ready rolled puff pastry


Method

1. Take the puff pastry out of the fridge to warm a little.

2. Chop the tomatoes and chicken roughly and put into the Manual Food Processor.  Pump the handle to blend until the chicken is becoming flaky.

3.  Squeeze the garlic in the garlic press into the Manual Food Processor. Add in bacon and basil and blend again until everything is mixed and the chicken is well flaked. Season lightly with a little pepper and salt.

4.  Unroll the puff pastry and cut the sheet in half.  On each piece, spread out half the mixture and then roll the pastry into a spiral roll, pressing down at the edge to seal it.

5.  Cut into about 11 pieces for each roll and place on a flat stone (I used my medium round stones), pressing down each slice slightly to make it look a little bit tidier.  Bake for 20 mins till golden brown.

6.  Remove from the stone with a mini serving spatula and cool on a stackable cooling rack, or serve immediately. I made mine in advance and reheated before serving.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristina! This looks great! Love the idea of doing something a little different from sausage rolls. On my list to try. Jen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I hope you like them when you try them. They were certainly a hit here. Kristina x

      Delete

I would be delighted if you left me a comment , so I know I'm not just speaking to myself!