Thursday 26 July 2012

My big cake secret! (dairy free, egg free and vegan cake)

This is my big secret!  Don't tell anyone will you?  I have a basic sponge recipe that is egg free, dairy free and is so simple its ridiculous!  And it doesn't contain any odd egg replacers, which I have a real aversion to.

Plain sponge with choc chips added



Ingredients
90g     Sugar
90g     Dairy free spread (I use Pure Spread)
180g   Self Raising Flour
160ml Soya milk (or other non dairy milk)

Thats it!!

Method

You can use a mixer for this but I don't have one at the moment so its all by hand here! (Good for my right arm though.)


Preheat the oven to 180°C

1. Measure the sugar and Pure spread into a classic batter bowl and mix with a bamboo spoon until nicely fluffy.

2. Add the flour and milk and mix until combined well and looking like a normal cake batter.  If its too solid add a little more soya milk.

3.  Spoon into 12 cupcake liners or leave your stoneware muffin pan naked and bake in the oven for about 12-15 mins till golden brown. (You could use the deluxe mini-muffin pan and make 24 small ones!)

4. Remove to a stackable cooling rack and cool completely before icing.

Tip:  Fancy blueberry muffins or raspberry muffins, or any other fruit for that matter?

Then bung in a good handful of fruit once the cake batter is mixed, stir them through and bake as above - YUM!  I quite often use frozen fruit - chuck them into the batter while still frozen and just increase the cooking time by a couple more minutes.

Or what about choc chip?  Chop up about 80g vegan chocolate into chunks and chuck it in.


Basic cupcakes with added British Flags by my six year old daughter for @sundaybakeclub on twitter
I've also used this to make large birthday cakes such as the Princess castle below!  Just use the above recipe in a 20cm cake tin for each layer, and bake for about 22 minutes. I added muffins and ice cream cones to this one to make the shapes.

Pink castle made from layers of vegan cake, ice cream cones and pink icing

9 comments:

  1. These are great! I used your recipe and added mixed fruit I had in the freezer. Really tasty. Thnks Jenny (mum of Danny, age 2, egg free)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made some turned out great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this recipe! Made this for my son's first birthday, he's allergic to milk and eggs. Everyone loved the cake, inc my son, his first taste of cake today! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Happy Birthday to your son. I hope he has many more cake adventures over the next few years. Its indescribable when you manage to bake a cake like this for the first time and its successful. Do try the chocolate cake recipe as well - its amazing! x

      Delete
  4. I made this cake for Brother's birthday, and WOW, it was amazing! Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried many plain sponge vegan/egg free recipes and they just weren't light enough or tasting quite right. Tried this one tonight and success on first go! Now my go to recipe, I used hemp milk and added a little vanilla essence though. Will try with different dairy free milks to see the effect later on. Thank you so much! Love that it's so simple too! Rose lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so delighted it was a success for you. Hemp milk isn't something I've tried but I might give it a go now.

      Delete

I would be delighted if you left me a comment , so I know I'm not just speaking to myself!