Sunday 7 April 2013

Toffee Apple Tart (egg and dairy free, vegan)

I first tried this recipe back in the Autumn of 2011, and on reflection it probably is quite appropriate for that time of year, however I had guests last week and was looking for an easy make ahead tart.  Plus, I had masses of apples!

Allergy friendly toffee apple tart, apple pie

The original recipe came from the lovely Ruth Clemens at The Pink Whisk and can be found here. As we don't do dairy and eggs I adapted the pastry and used my Mum's tried and tasted recipe for my very favourite shortcrust pastry.  I also added a little more cinnamon as I love the warmth of the flavour coming through the apples.

My guests for lunch were my fabulous brother and his gorgeous partner.  My brother happens to be a professional photographer and he insisted on taking a photo for me. (It does look so much more professional than mine, but I'm learning!)  So thank you Hamish for some amazing photos and lovely company while we ate. You can see more of Hamish's work at HCampbell Photography.

Ingredients

Pastry


150g plain flour

85g non dairy margarine (I used block Stork)

1 tbsp sugar

2-3 tbsp water, as much as the dough requires to come together

Filling

70g fresh breadcrumbs (2 slices of bread)

1 tsp cinnamon

3 apples - I used a mix of bramley and braeburn but most tart apples will do!

200g demerara sugar

50ml water

10g non dairy margarine

1tsp vinegar

1 tbsps golden syrup

I used an 8 inch tart pan, which I greased a little before putting in the pastry, but I reckon this would translate brilliantly into mini tarts in the new Mini tart pans.


Method

1.  In a food processor, pulse the flour and margarine together until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. (You can do this the old fashioned way with your hands or a pastry blender if need be).

2.  Add the sugar and pulse to blend it in.

3.  Remove the mixture from the processor and add to a classic batter bowl.  Mix in 2 tbsp of cold water and mix to bring the dough together.  If it is still crumbly add another tablespoon of water. Squeeze the dough into a lump of dough and allow to rest. Put it in the fridge in the batter bowl if it is warm in the kitchen.

4. Make the breadcrumbs by adding the bread to the processor and pulsing (a little of the crust isn't going to do any harm mixed in!).  Once finely chopped, add the tsp of cinnamon and pulse again to combine.

5. Pre heat the oven to 180°C.  Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface (I love the flexible cutting mats for this.)

6.  Lift the pastry gently on the rolling pin, and lift it over the tart pan.  Push the pastry into the sides and down into the bottom.  If it tears just use a little from the extra at the edges to patch it up.  Trim the edges off cleanly.

7.  Line the tart case with baking parchment and dried rice or baking beans.  Bake for 15 mins, then remove the beans and paper (pour them onto a tray to cool, not back in their pot straight away!) and put the tart case back in the oven or around 5 mins till its a light golden brown and firm on the base.

8.  While the tart cools a little peel your apples and then use an apple wedger to core and wedge them.  Then cut them into small chunks as illustrated in the pictures.

9.  Pour the breadcrumbs into the tart case  and spread them out evenly, then add the apple chunks on top.

10. Place the demerara sugar, water, margarine, vinegar and golden syrup in a pan and gently heat it to melt everything together.  Cook until the sugar dissolves and there are no grainy bits obvious, stirring all the time.

11. Pour the sauce over the apples, covering them all.

12. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the apples are beginning to brown lightly. Then remove and cool on a stackable cooling rack.

I served it naked with no accompaniments, but ice-cream or any kind of cream would go down very well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you left me a comment , so I know I'm not just speaking to myself!