Sunday 26 April 2015

Vegan Meringues (eggfree, dairyfree, gluten free and nutfree)




Yum

I know aquafaba meringues have been about for a while, and the furthest back I'm aware of them being in print is from the Ten Talents cookbook of 1968! But I have so far shied away from them as an experiment too far.  But, now with the help of an amazing group of folks on Facebook called Vegan Meringue - Hits and Misses!, I have given it a go.  And WOW what a revelation.... Lemon meringue pie is now possible along with angel cakes, eton mess and macarons! I'm so excited to get started on them all.  Today however, I want to tell you about the absolute basics.

A big thank you to everyone in the Facebook group for sharing their expertise and their tips and failures.  Especially Goose Wohlt for the basic tutorials!

You need a tin of chickpeas (garbanzo beans in the US) and some sugar, a whisk and an oven.  That is all! Honestly!

Ingredients

1 Tin of Chickpeas in water (I used unsalted and organic but apparently salted is ok too)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
drop of vanilla extract if wished

Method

1.  Drain the tin of chickpeas over a small batter bowl.  Set aside the chickpeas to use in a yummy salad or casserole later.  Empty the liquid from the chickpeas into your mixer bowl.

2.  Put the mixer on a high speed setting and mix for about 3-4 minutes.  Magic will happen and you should end up with a bowl of fluff.  Keep mixing until the meringue forms stiff peaks - it stays up in a point when you bring the whisk out of it.  If its soft and the peak collapses a little keep mixing for a bit longer.

3.  When you have stiff peaks add the vanilla if you desire and then add the sugar a spoonful at a time while mixing at high speed to gradually incorporate it into the meringue.

4.  Once you have mixed in all the sugar pick up a little of the mixture between your fingers, and if it feels gritty, mix again until the sugar has all dissolved and you have a glossy white bowl full.

5.  Pipe or plop it onto baking trays lined with baking paper and bake in the oven at 110°C for around an hour to an hour and a half.  Once done open the oven door a little and leave the meringues in there to cool.


Vegan Meringues and Raspberries - heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you left me a comment , so I know I'm not just speaking to myself!