Friday 6 April 2012

Apple, sultana and cinnamon hot cross buns (egg free, dairy free, vegan)

Hot Cross Bun Tear and Share Style on the Medium Round Stone
Normally I take my time and add in lots of links to the products but I have several people champing at the bit for this one so here it is!

This can be vegan or not depending on whether you use the dairy free spread or butter and what kind of milk you use.  I got the inspiration for the tear and share style from a magazine last month, but I can't remember where!  And I based my recipe on one from Baking Mad.

Ingredients
625 g strong white bread flour
7g sachet fast action yeast
75g sugar
pinch salt
2 tsp ground allspice/mixed spice
2 tsp cinnamon
50 g Pure spread or butter
250ml milk (any kind you fancy!  I used soya milk)
125ml water
1 large bramley apple
125g sultanas (UPDATE!  Having eaten several I'd add more sultanas! Maybe double it to 250g?)

For the crosses:
6tbsp plain white flour
4tbsp water

For the glaze:
2tbsp sugar
2tbsp water

Method

1. Place the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a classic batter bowl and stir together with a mix n scraper.

2. Measure out the spices using an adjustable measuring spoon and mix into the flour.

3. Melt the fat with half of the milk in a small pan, add the remaining cold milk and 125ml cold water, so that the liquid is luke warm.

4. Pour it into the flour mixture and mix in.

5.  Peel the apple, cut and core it with the apple wedger and then chop it into tiny pieces in the food chopper.

6. Add the sultanas and finely chopped apple to the dough and knead firmly for 10 minutes (or 5 minutes in a mixer with a dough hook or on the pizza dough setting in a breadmaker) until the dough is smooth and elastic.

7. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, divide it in two and then roll one half into a long sausage, cut into 10 equal pieces. And repeat with the next one, cut into 9 pieces.

8. Pinch the edges of each piece of dough up to the centre until you have a smooth ball, turn seam side down on the worktop and roll into a smooth ball.

9. Place the buns on a medium round stone allowing space for them to double in size. I used a concentric circle pattern with one in the middle, six around it and then 12 one the outside ring.  I lined up every second one on the outside ring with the inner ring and then put one in the space.  Hope that makes sense?


10. Cover with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size and is sticking together (see below).  I left mine about an hour.

11. When to dough is almost ready, preheat the oven to 180°C. Mix the plain flour with enough water to make a paste of a similar consistency to butter icing in a small prep bowl.

12. Place the paste in a plastic bag and snip the end off, then pipe crosses on the hot cross buns. I did a large line across the centre one and then smaller ones radiating out.  I then made a couple of rings all the way round to give the spider web effect. (Thanks to a fellow consultant Pauline, who suggested using the Easy Accent Decorator for this bit - probably less messy than the bag!)


13. Bake for 20 to 22 mins until the buns are golden and firm.

14. To glaze dissolve 2 tbsp caster sugar in 2 tbsp water, boil for a minute then brush over the hot buns with a silicone basting brush as soon as they come out of the oven to give a shiny glaze.

15.  Leave to cool slightly then enjoy with spread, jam, nutella, or naked, whatever you fancy!




9 comments:

  1. Wow! What a fab photo!!!! I'm heading for the kitchen right now..... stomach rumbling ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this recipe and your blog. Great having photos showing the different stages. I love the way it looks as though they are going to fall off the stone but they don't! Rhian Skinner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the lovely comments ladies! Carol - My stomach is NOT rumbling now as I've eaten far too many! Rhian - Do make sure they are all fully on the stone when you put them in the oven, but yes they all fit, just!
    Come back and visit again..
    K x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made these and they are yummy thankyou very much for the recipe and your inspiration Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are one AWESOME young lady!! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just made these, and the recipe is spot on! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nima! Glad you liked them. Happy Easter!

      Delete

I would be delighted if you left me a comment , so I know I'm not just speaking to myself!